Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ballet, Latin, Contemporary, Street, Jazz

Today, I attended Jay's hip hop class at Bugis club. It was a popping locking choreo, which reminded me of Rashidah, my first dance teacher. I am now learning Ballet, Latin Dance, Contemporary Dance, Street Dance. Once in a while, I attend Jazz dance lessons.

Ballet originated from the Italian Renaissance imperial courts and was developed in France and Russia. This is a dance form that requires enormous amount of training, discipline and technical rigor. Favorite dancer: Alessandra Ferri

Contemporary dance Contemporary is a versatile form of expression as it is able to draw from movements and techniques from different dance genres. Favorite choreographer: Shen Wei

Latin Dance is a dance from Latin American countries. Think Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Colombia, El Salvador, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and their svelte perfectly sculpted brunette beauties on stiletto heels. Dance style is flirtatious, sensuous, sometimes even erotic. Favorite dancer: Yulia Zagoruchenko

Street dance is an expression of a people of no repute, and desperate for acceptance. Movements like popping, whacking and locking express 'overkill',and reflect the image of punks, bengs and lians who 'overkill' with outrageous weird hairdos, false eyelashes, mini-skirts, camisoles, loud accessories. Personally, I identify with street dance during times of my life when pushing for breakthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment